To further strengthen our initiatives, Finish Society is expanding its activities into areas related to Renewable Energy, Solid & Liquid Waste Management, Biogas etc. We at FINISH are actively exploring innovative solutions which can positively contribute in the areas of effective waste management models and techniques.
We have piloted Toilet Linked Bio Gas project with Valsad dairy in Gujarat and have found that the output can be increased if Bio-gas units are linked to toilets. We have also been promoting Biodigester toilets especially in schools. We plan to expand such initiatives further as sustainable waste management has become crucial to ensure safety of our environment. A for profit entity has been established to explore the opportunities in sanitation, clean energy and waste management in India.
Under one such pilot initiative a project is under implementation for constructing a bio-gas plant linked to community toilet, with provision for distribution of gas directed to users by pipe or pressure-packed in gas cylinders for distribution to potential users. It is a collaborative project located at Village Pappampatti in Palani Taluk of Dindigul District, Tamilnadu, between Palani Hills Conservation Council (PHCC), Financial Inclusion Improves Sanitation and Health (FINISH), WASTE Foundation, and Pappampatti Gram Panchayat, to provide sanitation facilities and at the same time generate energy and organic fertilizer to communities.
Solid & Liquid Waste Management
Waste Management in peri-urban Pune
Aim of the solid waste management intervention in Ranjangaon and Karegaon is to enable the village to manage their solid waste sustainably by designing, piloting and implementing appropriate low cost and environmentally-safe waste management solutions together with community mobilization so as to make the whole program sustainable supported by ITC Ltd. Objectives planned to be achieved under the program are the following:
- Development & implementation of Sustainable Systematic Solid Waste Management in Ranjangaon and Karegaon Village.
- Ensuring 100% Source Segregation through awareness generation at all levels -Facilitating primary segregation at source level & waste minimization.
- Formation and strengthening Ward Committee toward Waste Management
- Promoting Decentralized Waste Management through Home composting, Ward Composting, Biogas etc.
- Promoting Market Linkages for Sale of Compost, recyclable Waste Create awareness for all households/communities from all wards of Ranjangaon & Karegaon to handle dry and wet waste in an accountable and responsible manner.
Phase I area Ranjangaon is divided into 6 wards and Karegaon into 4 wards as per the census data the population of Ranjangaon is around 13000 and Karegaon is 5257. At present 2752 HHs are being covered in both the villages with the help of 12 waste collectors.
Waste Management for Dungarpur Town
FINISH in collaboration with Dungarpur Nagar Parishad (Government of Rajasthan) is implementing a solid waste management project in Dungarpur. The project has the following components-
- Door to door collection - at present in 10 wards
- secondary segregation of dry and wet waste where wet waste is composted
- saleable / recyclable dry waste to be linked to the market
- Construction of Scientific Landfill - a properly designed landfill is constructed so that it is environmentally safe. The segregated and non-saleable dry waste is to be dumped.
- Biogas plant for alternate treatment of organic waste and cow dung - Biogas generated from the plant is being used as LPG in 1 household and a lighting system (lamp posts on pole) is put up in the area. I HP Motor pump is installed, all through power generated from biogas plant.
Faecal Sludge Treatment
Odisha managed by FSMC Private Ltd
The project in Talcher, Odisha is an integrated Sustainable Solid and Liquid Waste Management through Vermicompost Production along with forward linkages to agriculture.
The project aims to:
- Undertake proper transportation, segregation and recycling of solid and liquid waste to improve public health and environment.
- Develop a financially and environmentally sustainable value chain in sanitation and solid waste management via self-sustained business case from a vermicompost plant.
Under the project a vermicomposting plant in Kulei Village located at Gengeutia Gram Panchayat (GP), Odisha has been set up covering approximately 1,000 households. The targeted production of vermicompost is 180 tons over 3 cycles in a year (each cycle is approximately 65-70 days). The number of beds to reach this production level is 3 beds; each with the 15 m length, 3 m width, and 1 height. The production is estimated at 20 tons/bed/cycle.
The main waste inputs that are being used in the Project are:
- Cow dung from Gengeutia GP (Organic solid waste)
- Agri-waste from the surrounding project site (Organic solid waste)
- Kitchen waste from Gengeutia GP (Organic solid waste)
- Septage from Talcher Town (Liquid waste)
Papampatti, Palani district, Tamil Nadu
The Community Toilet-Linked Biogas Plant in Palani Hills is a collaborative project located at Village Pappampatti in Palani Taluka of Dindigul District, Tamilnadu, between Palani Hills Conservation Council (PHCC), FINISH, WASTE Foundation, and Pappampatti Gram Panchayat, to provide sanitation facilities and at the same time generate energy and organic fertilizer to communities.
Objectives of this project:
- Provide common sanitation for 150 families plus visitors at the Papanpatti Bus station at on user fee basis.
- Treat waste from sanitation facility by mixing with farm waste. Primary processing in an anaerobic digester for producing BIOGAS for sale to households and SME.
- Secondary treatment of slurry using Constructed Wetlands.
- Close nutrient cycles by selling manure from the Biogas plants to farmers and sell subsidized gas to sanitation user households and Nearby SME/ other households at profit.
- Develop a sustainable revenue model for village sanitation through biogas and manure production.
Toilet Linked Biogas Plant with Valsad Cooperative Dairy, Gujarat
FINISH Society implemented sanitation cum solid waste management program with support from ICCO and WASTE under which toilet linked biogas units were promoted in selected villages of Valsad, Navsari and Dang Districts of Gujarat. The idea was to link sanitation with economic incentives along with a sustainable solution to sanitation. The programme covered 2645 households with 1914 Low Cost Biogas units and 731 with Toilet Linked Biogas (TLBG) Units. Most of the TLBG users moved to from LPG to Biogas for cooking. This provided sustainable energy to rural communities.
Faecal Sludge Treatment Plant in Nilgiris, Tamil Nadu
FINISH Society in collaboration with Rural Development Organization (RDO) Trust has setup a Feacal Sludge Treatment Plant (FSTP) and a Waste Water Recovery system with the technical support of WASTE, Netherlands. This is setup as a social enterprise with Chamraj Tea Estate, the largest private organic tea grower in the Nilgiris. This is a unique intervention to combine solutions of waste management with revenue and thus linking livelihood.
Faecal Sludge Treatment Plant in Ponampatti, near Trichy, Tamil Nadu
With Ponampatti Town Panchayat a FSTP is being setup. It uses a VCWL and a HCWL for treatment of slurry and the discharge water.
FINISH Society receives NGO Leadership Award 2017
Fostering Circular Economy Through Waste Water Reuse.
FINISH is empanelled as Key Resource Centre(KRC) for training and capacity building under Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation for Swachh Bharat Mission ( Gramin).
Shikhar Block in Mirzapur district of Uttar Pradesh became the first ever Block to become Open Defecation Free (ODF) on June 5, 2016
FINISH Society, with the support of UNICEF and the District administration conducted three training sessions on CLTS in Mirzapur to initiate the ODF journey in Block Shikhar
Training Session on the CLTS Approach was held in district Pratapgardh of Uttar Pradesh.
Training Session on the CLTS Approach was held in district Jaunpur of Uttar Pradesh.
Celebration of World Toilet Day at Longaon village, Bhokardan Block at Jalna District.
FINISH Society is among the four nominees for the prestigious Sarphati Sanitation Award for Young Entrepreneurs 2015, to be held in November in Amsterdam.
FINISH kicks off the research survey with First workshop in Gujarat from 6th of July
FINISH film "Let's Make it Right" bags the Gold Award in Best Social Development Campaign Category of FLAME AWARDS 2014
Developing an alternate supply chain solutions for promoting Safe Sanitation in partnership with UNICEF, Maharashtra
Swachh Bharat Swachh Vidyalaya - Implementing school sanitation program.